Th is sheet offers a number of steps we can take to reduce the impact of our ecological footprint on the Earth. Please look over this and if you feel inspired, commit to a few or more of them by marking the blank with a “?” check. If you already are currently practicing the step, mark an “X” on the blank. When you are done please copy your commitments onto a piece of paper that you can carry with you as a reminder. We will collect this sheet so that we may post your commitments on a website, allowing other practitioners and friends to see and to be inspired by your actions.
I,__________________________________________, commit to:
* Carpool to work or use mass transit.
* Reduce flight-travel to less than ___ flight-hours per year.
* Purchase energy credits to compensate for travel.
* Have a car-free day once a week.
* Have a car-free day once a month.
* Work at home one day a week.
* Reduce car trips by ___%.
* Use stairs, not elevators and escalators.
* Have an electricity-free day once a week.
* Get an energy audit of my home and improve its efficiency.
* Purchase and install solar panels at home.
* Purchase renewable-source electricity (wind, geothermal.)
* Air-dry clothes (without a dryer.)
* Reduce the use of hairdryers and appliances.
* Support farmers and reduce food-miles by buying local produce.
* Grow produce at home.
* Do not use pesticides or herbicides.
* Purchase ___% organic food.
* Join a Community-Supported Agriculture group near home.
* Replace light bulbs at home with compact fluorescents.
* Eliminate the use of air-conditioning at home.
* Reduce air-conditioning at home by ___ degrees.
* Reduce heating at home by ___ degrees.
* Install a programmable thermostat at home.
* Install energy-efficient insulation and windows at home.
* Eat only vegetarian food.
* Drive a fuel-efficient vehicle.
* Avoid purchasing disposable items with lots of packaging.
* Replace paper napkins, towels, plates with reusable equivalents.
* Use library instead of buying books, as much as possible.
* Use cloth or other reusable bags for shopping, etc.
* Use biodegradable cleaning products.
* Compost kitchen waste.
* Encourage office/school to recycle.
* Share magazines and catalogs by donating them to clinics, etc.
* Reuse and recycle all items possible.
* Buy clothing in used clothing/thrift shops.
* Plant native and drought-tolerant plants where applicable.
* Plant ___ trees in my neighborhood.
* Turn off computers while not in use.
* Install a power strip for appliances to avoid drawing ghost electricity.
* Reduce use of hot water by ___%.
* Take only short, warm showers.
* Install a solar water heating unit.
* Re-use greywater.
* When urinating only, do not flush the toilet.
* Turn off faucet while brushing teeth or shaving.
* Reduce overall water use by ___%
* Install a system to capture and store rainwater.
* Pick up trash along walking/jogging route.
* Encourage a friend to commit to items on this list.
* Educate myself on ecological issues.
* Write articles, stories to help others get in touch with their ecosystem.
* Meditate once/week on my relationship to the ecosystem in which I live.
* Meditate once a week on how I can reduce my consumption, and act on this.
* Write to local and national politicians calling for more effective environmental legislation.
* Support local environmental organizations.
Add my own commitment proposals here:
I make the commitment to practice the items that I have checked above so that I may reduce the ecological impact of my way of living.
Signature:______________________________________ Date: _______________________